Catherine “The Herb Lady” Crowley.
Chat with an Expert.
– – – –
Catherine, The Herb Lady, is a self-taught, hands-in-the-dirt, Urban Farmer who experiments and researches constantly for new and interesting edibles as well as playing with old favorites. She was given the nickname “The Herb Lady” when vendors and customers at farmers markets would say “go ask the herb lady” for questions on herbs. It stuck.
Catherine has taught many cooking and gardening classes at various locations private and public including the notable Boyce Thompson Arboretum which is an Arizona State Park, and Phoenix’s own Desert Botanical Garden. She has been a newspaper columnist for 4 years writing on growing and using edible herbs. Catherine has a blog online and is a regular vendor at her local Farmers Market.
In This Podcast: Chatting with Herb expert Catherine Crowley about growing herbs and using them in cooking other beneficial ways. She and Greg explore many of the different unique and awesome aspects of a myriad of herbs that can be grown in the home gardens and urban farms, with a special emphasis on garlic.
Topics discussed in this chat:
- Scallions, purple herbs, garlic
- Trick to maximize the garlic and onion bulbs harvests
- A special Herb soup that she found online and even her “meat and potato” loving husband appreciated
- Herb Soup: Sauteed shallots to start a soup, and four cups of chopped herbs, a package of mixed greens, six cups of croutons, and a lot of Parmesan cheese
- Summer greens instead of traditional salads
- More of her recipes and cooking thoughts