Kerry Audisho on Locally Grown Food
Connecting a community to a healthier diet and access to locally grown foods.
– – – –
Kerry is a wife, mother, certified Dr. Sears health coach, local food advocate, and lover of food growing. She spends her time visiting various farms and gardens in and around Phoenix, and connecting consumers directly to local growers.
She organizes three Meetup groups, Your Farm Foods, Arizona Natural Food Group and Food as Medicine.
She blogs at yourfarmfoods.com and has created an online open marketplace, friendingfarmers.com that allows users to buy, sell and share our locally grown foods.
In this podcast: Greg talks with Kerry to find out why she is so committed to helping others improve their diets and connect with locally grown foods. Kerry shares the story of her conversion to healthy foods and then how even that diet was improved after a trip to a restaurant with a friend. Her experience giving up sugar is a startling one. She also explains how she started her meet-up group to help her community connect with locally grown foods.
Listen in and learn about:
- How she was sick as a kid and would suffer symptoms like passing out randomly until she was put on a healthy diet
- Why it took a year for her to believe that it was really making a difference
- Now fourteen years later, she has not experienced the passing out since
- Why she needed extra vitamins and supplements even though she was eating healthily
- What she learned about the decline in nutritional value of foods
- Why eating local makes a huge difference in the taste and the nutritional value
- How an invitation to lunch at a local food focused restaurant changed her eating habits
- Her struggle to find local foods in Michigan despite so many local farms
- Why she thinks local foods need to be easier to obtain
- The meet-up group she started called “Your Farm Foods” to buy local and what they have seen in the last year
- Why she went to a chiropractor and what changes she made in her diet
- The sugar withdrawals she experienced
- What a healthy diet means to her
- How to make kale chips as an alternative to chips or even processed veggie chips
- How local foods bought at the farmers market and left in the fridge is still better than the grocery store foods eaten the same day as bought
- Why she avoids beef and does eat chicken and fish but does not tell everyone to do the same
- Extra benefits of eating local foods, including meats
- An experience she had visiting a factory dairy farm in Michigan compared to a small dairy farm
- How she manages to get all her projects done by working with others
- More about Friendingfarmers.com and how consumers can communicate directly with local farms
As well as:
- Her failure – when she was young and newly married they bought a house just before the market crashed, and how she learned to recognize what is truly important in life
- Her success – the meet-up group Your Farm Foods, and the successes she seen homeschooling her children
- Her drives – to share with others the health changes she experienced converting to a healthy, local food diet, trying to give our children a better future, and creating a community within our cities and neighborhoods to better the overall system
- Her advice – follow your instincts
Kerry’s Book recommendations:
How to reach Kerry:
Meet up groups:
Arizona Natural Food Group